Summer is my favorite season. The days are longer. I can stand stepping outside with only one layer of clothing. All the good movies are out. And food festivals are all over the place!
When my cousin told me that he had deep fried oreos at the Richmond Night Market the other weekend, I decided that I MUST have some myself. I dragged my siblings to the night market when I was back in BC last weekend and we just pigged out for 3 hours. The Richmond Night Market is an annual event held every summer. All types of vendors set up their stands selling Asian trinkets and whatnot, but we all know that when we go to the night market, we head straight to the food. We walk through all of the rows of food vendors, list down everything that seem interesting and strategize on which to eat or drink first. I can say, for sure, that this year, the night market did not disappoint.
One of the most popular items at the night market is Takoyaki. Takoyaki is a Japanese dumpling made of batter, baby octopus, pickled ginger and green onion, topped with okonomiyaki sauce, ponzu, mayonnaise and fish shavings. They offer Takoyaki at the night market year after year. The one my siblings and I had was average. It could have been crispier on the outside, like we're used to, but it's delicious nonetheless!
This year, the longest line was for the hurricane fries. This is the first time I've seen it, but I haven't been going to the night market for the past couple of years. Hurricane fries are deep fried potato twisted on a stick and flavored with cheese, barbecue, ketchup, etc. They are pretty good. I'd go back for more if there weren't so many other food items to try.
We also had the typical Taiwanese iced desserts. I had cold sweet tofu soup with grass jelly and mango pudding. My siblings had bubble tea and a mango drink with tiny tapioca balls, milk and crushed ice.
And of course, I had the deep fried oreos. We went to one of the two western stands that at the market and I ordered deep fried oreos. The lady was so happy to serve it to us that she gave a little cheer. She said it's because she just made it fresh! :) I love these sweet greasy deep fried treats, but my coworker made me realize how expensive they were when he asked me how much I paid for them and how many pieces I got.
And like I said, the night market isn't all just food. There are also events going on, a band playing on the stage, eating contests, games, and lots more.
Parking at the vicinity is 5 dollars. Go early or you'll be stuck in a long lineup. We went right when it opened at 7pm and didn't have to wait for parking at all. Some people park closer to where Futureshop is and just walk.
Richmond Night Market
12631 Vulcan Way
Richmond, BC
Fri - Sat 7pm - 1am
Sun 7pm - 12am
1 comments:
Those fries look amazing! I want! You didn't wait for me!
Post a Comment