Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jade Seafood Restaurant

Whenever I go back to BC, I make sure that I get my fill of Chinese food - Taiwanese fried chicken, Dimsum, HK style baked rice, Bubble Tea, Shanghai dumplings and the list goes on. I have just been back recently to visit with cousins from Massachusetts and like me, Chinese food is on their list. We decided to go for dimsum on Sunday because where we're from in the US, good dimsum like the ones in BC is hard to find. Jade Seafood Restaurant is our favorite place for dimsum. They won an award for one of their dumplings, which we will see below and they serve non-dimsum items that my family and I absolutely love. Whenever we go there, we just call on the waiter right away and start listing all our favorites. Best of all, they offer a 20% discount if you go before 11 in the morning.


We ordered  13 items among the 5 of us, but I'm not going to include all of them in this post. The first dish that arrived is the pan fried radish cake served in an edible bowl made of deep fried wonton wrapper and mixed with salted edamame beans. I love love love this dish because it's fried, not too salty and the radish is always cooked right - not too dry and not too moist and mushy either.


Jade also serves unique items like the fried shrimp roll with pickled ginger and century egg. I am not a big fan of ginger, but the taste of the ginger added to this dish isn't too strong and the century egg overpowers its flavor. We enjoyed this dish so much, we had to order another. One just wasn't enough.


Now, the award winner was the Mushroom Dumpling. According to their website, Jade received the CRA Dimsum Gold, Critic's choice award for the Mushroom Dumpling. My dad, who is a vegetarian raves about this dish all the time. My cousin K, who eats meat, however, didn't think it was anything special.


In any dimsum restaurant, we would always have rice rolls. My sister would always ask for the Chinese Donut rice roll. Some restaurants have it, some don't. Jade definitely has it. I would always go for the Beef rice roll. Before, we'd always argue over which rice roll to order - beef, chinese donut or even shrimp? These days, we'd just go ahead and order both. Although the rice rolls in Jade aren't the best I've tasted. They are still better than others.




The chicken knuckles weren't a big hit with our group that day, but I still liked them. Looking at the picture, you'll find out why.


Now everyone's favorite, however, isn't the mushroom dumpling nor is it either of the rice rolls. It is the Deep Fried Milk. This dish used to be Deep Fried Mango Milk, but it's now just plain milk and still absolutely delicious. The way to eat it is to dip it in sugar and bite into it. Inside, it is soft and sweet, but not too sweet so sugar is still a good addition.


My cousin K and I are big fans of dessert. Jade had a few items on their dessert menu, but I knew immediately what my sister would pick - the Mango Pudding. It will have to be swimming in cream or she will not be satisfied. For me, however, like all the other items on the menu, Jade's mango pudding did not disappoint.


We love Jade because in all the years we've been going there, the quality of the food is consistent, the servers remain to be very accommodating and they accept reservations so we can go in at 10:30 in the morning, get seated at our table and order before the clock strikes 11. :)

8511 Alexandra Road
Richmond, BC
V6X 1C3, Canada
604-249-0082

3 comments:

A Loopy Life said...

We only ordered 13? Seemed like a lot more! And heeeey, I liked the mushroom dumplings!

Jenica said...

but when we left you said it wasnt anything special! maybe we ordered more.. but i only had 13 in my pics :p

Chen said...

How come you didn't tell me you had a blog now.
Looks nice !!

Post a Comment