Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Underground Tour

Yep, I am doing a double post this weekend. Maybe even triple, if tomorrow's plans push through. I work hard during the week, but I treat myself during the weekends, which basically means that I would be acting as a tourist in Seattle and just wander around doing what tourists do, shopping gift shops and stuffing my mouth silly with good food. A few weekends ago, I went to the Seattle Aquarium, which will be in a later post as this weekend's activities take priority.

A friend of mine, like me, is new to Seattle. And by new, I meant it has only been less than a year since we got here. As such, we wanted to see more of the area and he suggested trying out the Underground Tour. I've been to the Underground Tour once before, but don't remember much of it as I was only around 10 back then so I didn't really mind doing the tour a second time. And since I haven't been back to Pioneer Square, which is where the tour is located, since 2007, I thought this would be a good reason to pay it another visit.



The Underground Tour is an hour and a half long guided walking tour beneath Seattle's streets and sidewalks, which had once been Seattle's main roadways and first floor storefronts. During the tour, you will hear stories about Seattle's pioneers and about how people lived back then, the decisions they made and their livelihoods.

Introduction
Before the tour, we were given a brief introduction to Seattle's history. Did you know that Seattle used to be called Duwamps? It is a good thing that someone was smart enough to change the city's name to something more respectable.  Anyway, the guide was very entertaining, cracked funny jokes (ok, maybe you can't take my word for it because I laugh at almost anything, but everyone else was laughing too) and seemed like she has done this a hundred times. After the introduction, we were divided into 3 groups and set off to experience the underground maze of buildings and sidewalks.



That's the underground tour for you. I must say that I really enjoyed it even though it was my second time. After the tour, it is worth hanging around Pioneer Square. Check out the various landmarks they have there like the Firefighters memorial and the Waterfall Garden. They are worth a visit.

Bill Speidel's Underground Tour
608 First Ave
Seattle's Pioneer Square
206-682-4646
Adult tickets: 15$

0 comments:

Post a Comment