Saturday, August 21, 2010

El Gaucho

When my friend R talked about steaks and steakhouses a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I haven't had a good steak in a long time. Both of us wanted to try El Gaucho, a steakhouse in Seattle that has a couple other locations in the Northwest. So, I thought, why wait? Why not visit it soon? And "soon" became last night.

We walked towards El Gaucho along 1st Ave and were met with a lit up "El Gaucho" sign up front. The entrance to the restaurant is big steel doors with the El Gaucho logo. There was nothing but a dark hallway beside these doors and we couldn't tell whether this was the restaurant or not but the logo says it all, so I guess the next step was to open the doors. As soon as we opened these big steel doors, it seemed like we entered a completely different world -- dark atmosphere, music blasting, the sound of silverware against plates, and the chatter of the many guests already seated at their tables.



As you can see from the above picture, we were seated right beside the kitchen. The smell of butter and meat got to me as soon as I sat down and I knew then that I've got to order something soon. Like always, I've looked at the menu before going, but I still didn't know what to get. Because R ordered the Filet Mignon, I picked something different. I had the Steak El Gaucho which is a 12 oz baseball cut top sirloin that came with lobster medallions and asparagus. It was the thickest steak I have ever had. I usually get the prime rib which is nowhere near this thick. Thick or not, it was lean and tender! The lobster was the tastiest lobster I have ever had and the asparagus was the crispiest piece of vegetable I have eaten!


We also ordered sides because my friends' steaks didn't come with sides. Their steaks - the New York steak and the Filet Mignon - were topped with a portobello mushroom. R commented that the mushroom was delicious. We picked seasoned vegetables (again, very crispy) and scalloped potatoes for our sides. The scalloped potatoes were really creamy and baked with a thick sheet of cheese on top. I quite enjoyed it, but my friends thought the cheese was too salty. I only have a picture of the seasoned vegetables.


I struggled with trying to finish my steak. It was too big. Next time, I think I will have the 8oz filet. The steak was good, but the real highlight of the meal was the complimentary fruits we got afterwards. They didn't give us apple and orange slices, they gave us the whole apples and oranges. We also got pears and a whole bunch of grapes, all served in a silver platter. The real fun was in the nuts that came with the fruits. We had a whole lot of fun telling hazelnuts from pecans, telling bad nuts from good ones and cracking their hard shells with the nutcracker. We also got a plate of cheese, dates and crackers.



That was the end of our meal. It was a wonderful experience. We spent a total of 2 hours in the restaurant, had good food, watched waiters pour flames into a plate and make banana foster and cracked nuts to no end.

El Gaucho
2505 First Avenue
Seattle, WA
206-728-1337

2 comments:

A Loopy Life said...

I gasped when I saw 12 oz, haha. I would have been more impressed if you had actually finished it! And how could you not have the bananas foster?

Jenica said...

I did finish it! and because i finished it, i couldnt have any banana foster... i had some grapes and oranges though :)

Post a Comment