Last month, I was able to hit another restaurant off the 2010 top 10 restaurants in Seattle according to the Seattle Met (or was it the Seattle Magazine?). That restaurant is Crush. This is what is written on their website: "Crush cuisine is a personal style, one which can be defined by the sensibilities, journey and inspirations of Chef Jason Wilson and the work he does with his team." The uniqueness of Chef Jason Wilson's style is definitely evident on the dishes that came out that evening.
As soon as we sat down, we were asked what type of water we wanted - still or sparkling? I thought, since it sounded like we were paying for water, might as well just get sparkling. The water came out in an attractive bottle with big bold letters that said: "Bottled on site for the environment and for the good taste." How impressive is that?
We were also served with a plate of assorted bread. If there were an award for best bread assortment, I say that Crush should win this. Look at the picture below and see for yourself. My eyes widened when I saw the tiny bread puffs served to us when I expected to get warm rolls or a fresh slice of sour dough bread or something like that. These bread puffs simply melted in my mouth. They were divine. They reminded me of ensaymada, only a lot fancier.
So, as always, my bi-monthly eating companion and I already looked at the menu beforehand and planned on what we were getting. I had my mind set on the Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras "Steak" and I was not disappointed. The plate came with the biggest slice of foie gras I have seen served at a restaurant (not moussed like in most restaurants, nor mixed in fried rice like in Lai Wah Heen). "Steak" was a good description.The Foie Gras was so rich that B and I were in Foie Gras heaven as soon as we took a bite. Plus, the sweet pound cake that came on the side accompanied it very well as it helped reduce the dominant taste of the foie gras.
I actually don't remember what the other appetizer was exactly. I don't believe the one listed on the online menu is completely accurate. If I remember correctly, we had the potato gnocchi with duck and honey crisp apples and foie powder on the side (I know, right? What is foie powder??). So, I immediately became curious when the server pointed to the white powdered substance on the left and said that it was foie powder. Did I hear correctly? Are we getting even more foie gras on our meal? Yes. The white powder you see on the left side of the photograph below is indeed foie gras powder. At least I think it is. It tasted like foie gras in powdered form. I researched about this the following day and confirmed that foie powder does indeed exist.
For our main courses, we had the 48 hour Braised Painted Hills Beef Short Ribs and Pork cooked three ways. The beef was so tender and the Yukon potato puree that came with it was delicious. I wasn't too impressed with the pork dish, but B seemed to think it was good. The pork was cooked three ways: sausage, tenderloin and pork belly. Normally, I would enjoy anything that had sausages or pork belly in it. I am not sure why they didn't suit my taste buds that evening. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to have pork?
| 48 Hour Braised Beef |
| Pork cooked 3 ways |
The biggest surprise came with the bill. We were not charged for the "environmentally friendly" bottle of water. Gasp! I was so sure that we would be paying at least 7 bucks for it. I guess Crush really has its own unique style and I must say that I like it very much. :)
Crush
2319 E Madison Street
Seattle, WA
206-302-7874
3 comments:
Another one to add to the list of places you should take me to. At this rate, we won't have time to do anything other than eat! Oh, and when I first saw the title, i thought this was going to be a non-food post about your crush. :)
Hah! you're funny... Cascina Spinasse is also on your list! Plus all those restaurants on Seattle Mag that I just saw...
nice nice :)
just like loopy life... when i saw the title kala ko sinong crush to! i pressed it at once! wahahahahaha :)
Post a Comment