It's about time Serious Pie gets a place on my blog. I don't normally repeat the restaurants I go to in Seattle, but whenever I have a craving for pizza, Serious Pie is where I go. I discovered this restaurant in 2007 when AJ invited me for lunch. We enjoyed our pizzas so much that we went back there for dinner on the same day to try the other flavors. Yes, that was lunch and dinner at the same restaurant on the same day. It was that good. Ever since, whenever I have friends and relatives coming to Seattle, Serious Pie has always been on the recommendation list.
Serious Pie is one of several Tom Douglas restaurants in the area and has been recognized as one of the top 10 restaurants in 2009 by the Seattle magazine. We normally go to the restaurant right when it opens because it's hard to get a table otherwise. The place is always packed with a 45 min waiting time. Right when you enter through the doors, you will be greeted by the stone-encased applewood burning oven where they bake the pies in.
The menu is short, but you'll have a hard time deciding what to get anyway. All the pizzas have such unique toppings that it would be hard to pass on any of them, which is why it is better to come in a larger group to be able to try all the flavors. Or just do what we did and go back for dinner. ;)
Since I am such a huge fan of eggs on anything, my favorite is the "guanciale, soft egg, arugula" pizza. The soft egg is baked into the pizza. The yolk is cooked just right without it being too runny nor too dry. The perfect bite would be one that has a full strip of guanciale, some yolk and a helping of the arugula that is thrown on top of the pizza. One bite like that and you'll feel like you were in food heaven.
Serious Pie also makes a special pie every day. During this visit, they were serving a "pumpkin, roasted garlic and gorgonzola" pizza. It sounded so delicious that we added it to our order right away as soon as the server finished describing it. I normally don't like smelly cheese, but the gorgonzola added to this pizza went very well with the flavors of the garlic and the pumpkin that I didn't mind it at all. I even liked it. It's too bad they don't have this on their regular menu.
There were four of us dining that time, so we had room for another pizza. We finally decided on having the "yellowfoot chanterelles, truffle cheese" based on our previous visits. Unfortunately, this is the one pie that isn't served consistently. In the three times I have ordered this, not one was the same as the other. They used different kinds of mushrooms and different amounts of cheese based on the ingredients they get that day, I would think. Each variation is good nonetheless, just probably not as good as some other variation.
So that's Serious Pie for you. Blogging it made me want to go for another visit and maybe I will sometime soon.
Serious Pie
316 Virginia Street,
Seattle, WA
206-838-7388
Sunday, February 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You make this place sound so good. Really must visit when I go to Seattle!
Post a Comment